Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Tuna Noodle Casserole

I'm having to follow this strict diet for a month to see what foods trigger my migraines. I'll share the list at a later date...let just say that it takes all the fun out of food.

So, I've had to update several of my favorite recipes to fit the diet restrictions. Then we add that I hate taking more than 45 minutes to make a meal. I'm only cooking for 2 and most nights I have a headache, so I don't want to stand over a stove and handle hot and/or sharp objects.

I've decided to share the recipes that I update so that others can enjoy them too. Tonight, I'm sharing a comfort food staple. This recipe will feed 4-6 people.

Tuna Noodle Casserole
  • 10 oz can cream of mushroom soup
  • 8 oz (1 box) macaroni noodles
  • 1.5 cups of of milk
  • 4 - 8 oz Velveeta cheese
  • Salt and pepper, to taste

Cook noodles according to box. Cube Velveeta. Add soup, milk, and cheese to drained noodles. Heat through (until cheese is melted). Serve with favorite vegetable for a quick meal.
Can be cooked by stove top, microwave, or oven.

Now my favorite part.

Substitutions/Variations
  • Many soups have MSG. Look for a soup that doesn't include this ingredient, like Campbell's Healthy Request soups. Just remember to add salt and pepper for your tastes. Also,  these soups are sometimes "soupier" than the original.  Adjust liquids to compensate.
  • No Cream of Mushroom? Use Cream of Chicken. In a pinch Cheese soup will work.
  • If you don't have tuna (or don't like it), use chicken instead.
  • Feel free to substitute any type of noodle for macaroni, like shells or broken spaghetti. Egg noodles are especially good for Tuna Casseroles.
  • No Velveeta? Use American cheese slices (about 8). Or use half Velveeta and half American cheese. If you can eat aged cheeses, experiment with your favorite cheeses.
  • If you like a crunchy topping, try crumbled buttery crackers (like Ritz) or French fried onions.
  • Need a veggie?  Throw in some frozen peas when you add the cheese or add canned peas just before everything is finished.  Green beans are also accompany this really well.
  • Use low carb or gluten-free pasta, low fat/low sodium soup, low fat Velveeta, 1-2% milk, and tuna packed in water for a healthier version of this dish.
I love this meal because it's really easy to prepare and super fast to cook. In a pinch, add a can of green beans or open a bag of salad, and you have a complete meal. I also love that it can be made in a healthier way. Personally, I use Healthy Choice soup (then add salt), 2% milk, full fat Velveeta, and Tuna in water....I guess I'm splitting the difference.

Edit:
After months and months of cooking this, I've figured out that you don't need the milk unless your casserole is thick. Also, a couple of drops of Worcestershire mixed in with the cheese is yummy!

Got your own quick Tuna Casserole Recipe? Feel free to share!

No comments: